2/18/13

Fort the Love of The Poppy Cottage

Spreading the Fort Love with an ongoing series about my favorites things to do and places to see and eat in good ol' Fort Wayne. 

It was a Wednesday morning. I was driving down State Street, heading home after a meeting at Georgetown Square. I've been down that road before, and Yum-Mee's Bakery is a favorite stop of mine when I'm in the area... but it had been a while.


So as I'm driving, I spot the cutest little storefront standing alone on the north side of the street.  I wasn't sure what it was, but I knew I had to pull over and check it out.





And boy am I glad I did!

The Poppy Cottage, named after owner Tammy's cat, Poppy, is a delightful little shop that carries vintage and vintage-like furniture, accessories, jewelry, housewares, and more.




Tammy's shop has been open since June and she's already busting at the seams. She holds weekly Chalk Paint workshops right there in the store, but told me she has to clear out a good portion of her items to make room for work space, then move them back again the following day. Now that's dedication!



I saw a ton of great items at The Poppy Cottage that could be used for decor at a vintage-style wedding. (Note that some items may not be available as her inventory changes frequently.)









I would be remiss if I didn't mention the Chalk Paint. I hadn't heard of it before I met Tammy, but now I see it talked (and raved) about everywhere!

Tammy corrected me and let me know there's a difference between Chalk Paint and chalkboard paint. This is called Chalk Paint because of the finish. It's very female-friendly because it doesn't require any sanding or prep-work. We gals are lazy :) The Poppy Cottage sells a ton of different colors and types of Chalk Paint to give any piece of furniture the perfect vintage look.



I'm super passionate about small business in Fort Wayne. I'm like this little kid who just wants to be friends with everyone and for everyone to succeed! So it was great meeting another small business owner, and to see how much the community loves what she's doing and the services she's providing.

You seriously have to check out her shop.



I'm in no way affiliated with The Poppy Cottage... I just like making my readers aware of awesome Fort Wayne businesses. Shop local!

The Poppy Cottage: Vintage Living
260-470-5777
1321 E. State Boulevard, Fort Wayne

Comments