2/6/12

Why Canvases are Awesome :: Fort Wayne Photographer

My husband, Ryan, and I have what most people would consider a gigantic canvas hanging in our dining room.

It's 30 inches by 40 inches.

I'll give you a moment to let that set in. Some of you have children who aren't even has tall as our canvas.

It's the focal point of our dining room. It's the first thing people notice when they walk in. It's the first thing they comment on when they sit down.




Now before you think Ryan and I are totally vain and self-centered, take a second to think about what I just said.

Isn't that what we want for our favorite photos? To be the focal point and what people comment on? After all... you don't have professional photos taken to go and hide them away and never show anyone. You want them seen and appreciated.

That's where the canvas really shines. 


The canvas makes the boldest statement of all. It's doesn't hide behind a frame and a piece of glass. It's unapologetic in it's desire to be more than a photograph... but to be art.

Now let's go back to the size. Because if you're going to order a canvas in an 8x10... we just can't be friends. That 8x10 had better be accompanied by a whole slew of other 8x10s to cluster artfully on your wall. Because canvases are meant to be large. They are meant to be the center of attention and to show off the amazing details in your photograph.


Don't get me wrong... we have prints all over our house as well... but this canvas is our pride and joy. We saved it for our absolute favorite wedding photo.

And it's an added bonus that I never have to worry about the glass getting dirty, the frame falling apart, or any portion of it getting dinged up during a move.


So this is my ode to the canvas. I think it's something that every.single.person should have in their home. Whether you buy it through me or someone else... whether it's one of my photos or not... just do it and see what you've been missing.

If you're interested in buying a canvas... or creating some art of your family, drop me a line!

Comments